This wide-ranging post has been assembled specifically to persecute Sigmacastell. It's a synthesis of several different things including an embryonic setting riffing off my Ten Thousand Empty Tombs post but refined and with more Meat Horrors (tm). It also includes a new combat sleeve, musings on a game set in the shadow of a Kardashev Type II civilization with no FTL, special forces as warrior societies/cults a la the Sardukar, and inventory worldbuilding. Think of this as a very focused slush pile post.
THE "THIN MEN"
- Responsibility for a human child (somebody else's); found crying in the back of a wrecked truck.
- Hunting rifle; found in the front of the same truck; resting on the passenger seat next to the charred bones of a local rebel fighter and a spent antitank missile warhead.
- Combat Sleeve-sized plate carrier (10mm of composite titanium and graphene composite) in the House of Urula's forest camouflage.
- House of Urula standard-form mercenary contract. Sealed in wax, signed in the Host's translucent blood.
- Jug of biodiesel; sleeve food.
- A dead deer; human food; the most nutritious bits are being steadily prechewed.
- A debt mark; repeatedly re-tattooed as the Host metabolizes the ink.
- Handaxe with a flint striker inside the handle.
- A badly water-damaged map annotated in pen; can't count on radio under an orbital blockade; compass is long gone.
- Plastic bag filled with white ash; used for cleaning.
- Sling; traditional in the Deserter's culture (the locals use manufactured products).
- Empty LMG drums for the shoulder-mounted weapon.
- Signal mirror.
THE SETTING IN BROAD STROKES
This is a slightly more developed version of the setting set out in my Ten Thousand Empty tomb posts: humanity finds itself in a system full of the detritus of a Kardashev Type II civilization; habitats; terraformed worlds. The builders are gone; maybe long gone. They were knitters of flesh and shepherds of proteins; seeded and guided DNA/RNA biology. Poor grasp of individual entities; causal chains are rights-holders. Left technology, biological tools(?)/weapons(?) behind; terrifying creatures designed to reproduce by subverting DNA/RNA biologies (not very prolific but have left a legacy of terror).
Humanity has regained its ability to travel the system after the fall of a powerful empire, the Monument Builders. Fractious worlds and habitats full of ruins and horrors. Megacorporations and states make their way as best as they can in a chaotic system.
Obviously, all of this is adaptable to regular MoSh with some details changed.